Eternal God, Bicentennial Year
A word from Christopher Chia, Senior Pastor
Welcome to Adam Road Presbyterian Church (ARPC)! What can you expect?
Singapore celebrates 200 years since Sir Stamford Raf- fles arrived in 1819. God graciously blessed us with the gospel brought by missionaries. How can we preach, live and defend the gospel of “Grace alone, Word alone, Christ alone and Faith alone” for God’s glory alone?
So, our theme for 2019 is intentionally “Eternal God, Bicentennial Year”. We are looking back to look for- ward. In our first series, God On the Move, we are go- ing to look back at church history in Singapore over 200 years. We will study the book of Acts and read Bobby Sng’s book, In His Good Time.
This is so that we can be faithful to our unchanging God, His precious Word and His beloved Son while reaching Singapore in fresh and creative ways.
Our three new exciting ministries to reach an ever- changing Singapore and world with the gospel and Bible are:
1. Our ARPC Marketplace Ministry Lunchtime Talks which begin in January. The needs are great and our people are keen. We seek to win our 21st century cities of the world for Christ.
Our AMM Mission is simple but profound:
* Empowering the Believer at Work
* Empowering the Worker to Believe
Praise God that our first Lunchtime Talks on “The Meaning of Meaninglessness” at our banking district, Raffles Place, is already booked out!
2. Our Mental Wellness Ministry (MWM) as Singa- pore grapples with our own share of this rising global challenge. We pray to equip our ARPC family to loving- ly support people holistically in their recovery.
3. Our Special Needs Support Network. ARPC has started this to minister to the growing number of visi- ble and invisible “disabilities”.
These are the latest expressions of our Bible-centred and Christ-centred ministries to save the world and build up the church for God’s glory.
5. By God’s grace, this is our commitment to God’s Word in our Preaching & Teaching:
Jan: “God on the Move”: How can we be faithful to our missional God to save the world?
Feb-May: “God’s Ultimate Sign”: Encountering the great Lord Jesus in John’s Gospel.
Jun: “Running from God”: Lessons from the book of Jonah.
Jul – Sep: “Peacemaker & Peacekeepers”: Jesus is God’s true peacemaker reconciling all things to Him
Oct – Nov: “Crying out to God”: Learning from Psalms 42-72.
Our highlights for 2019 include:
- “Everlasting God”. Our 1st Equip Conference of 2019. Speaker: Phillip Jensen of Two Ways Ministries in Sydney Australia (Feb 1 & 3).
- “Festival of Thought”. Partnering with RZIM to reach our City & Marketplace (Apr 1-7).
- Celebration of Hope. We join the wider church in Singapore to reach our nation at the Sports Hub. ARPC is the anchor church for the Children & Families Program. Saturday, May 18.
- Church Camp: We are so lost about identity, sexuality and des- tiny. Our new-look Church Camp will have Lois Kehlenbrink & Chris Chia anchoring the main talks on “Image, Bondage & Reimaging”. Korean Christian artiste Solnamoo shares his mu- sic & testimony (TBC). This is a camp not to be missed.
- Let’s Carnival (LC) 2019. God has blessed us to bless our nation! A very special Let’s Carnival as we commemorate Singapore’s Bicentennial. God has used LC 2015 and 2017 to bless our nation.
6. By God’s grace, here are some ministries to keep us on focussed on “Christ Alone”
a. Our Heart Condition
Jesus taught us that unless we abide in His word and love, we can bear no fruit. We encourage EACH person to follow Jesus.
by going N.U.T.s!
Unless we are humbled enough to be ministered by God we have no power to minister to others. Let us all go “NUTs” in our worship of God.
N = Non-negotiable daily appointment with God in prayer
U = Undistracted daily time with God in His Word
T = Total devotion to God!
Nurture our personal prayer by joining our monthly Church Prayer Fellowship
7. “Making lifelong disciples of Jesus from childhood to adulthood.”
a. Discipleship Groups (DGs)
The backbone of ARPC is our DGs. About 1000 people attend more than 80 DGs. The goal of our DGs is maturity to be like Jesus. We encourage and equip our people to mature in God’s Love, God’s Word, God’s Ministry, God’s Mission and Prayer.
One way to grow is to Multiply & Minister (M&M). God is blessing our growth in both ARPC@Adam and ARPC@Bishan as more people come to listen to the Bible taught every week in our Services. We need to give them a spiritual home where peo- ple love and grow together in small groups. We pray that 4-6 of our DGs will embark on M&M each year. God did not save us for our comfort but for Christ’s sake. We pray to avoid fossilised holy huddles and be on the move for God for others’ holiness.
b. We work hard to pass down the gospel to the next generations. God has blessed us with about 800-900 children. We have used a Triple Learning approach to bless our different generations. Our adult sermons, Children’s Church (CC) and youth (BA- SIC) study similar Biblical books to grow unitedly as a family. We start a Vacation Program (June & December) to refresh our teachers and involve the wider church in diverse and creative teaching of our children.
c. BASIC (our Youth Ministry)
We are an inter-generational church as we encourage our youth to worship with their parents and adults in Services in addition to their youth fellowship. Our youth benefit from “age-sensitive youth ministry” called BASIC on Saturdays. Yet, they also mature holistically in worshipping and serving with adults in
our Sunday services.
A Personal Thanksgiving
By God’s grace, Mona and I begin our 29th year of loving and serving God with you in ARPC. Last year was a sacred milestone as our son got married in December. We started our ministry in Singapore and ARPC when he was a baby and there were only two children in Sunday School!
His marriage serves as an encouragement of God’s love to em- power us for fidelity. To all the “sandwiched generation” parents juggling with looking after aged parents (which we did for 22 years), earning a living, raising a family and doing ministry – we just want to say that our God is exceedingly faithful!
It has been our singular joy and privilege to serve you in ARPC. Let us do this as God’s “One Church in Two Places”. This is such a beautiful expression and unique witness of ARPC to God’s glory in Singapore and the world. Many churches speak of love and unity, but very few “walk the walk” to glorify God as Jesus told us to.
Mona and I march forth – prayerfully and humbly with you as our fellow leaders and members in ARPC – to save lost people with Jesus our Lord. Come and join us in wor- shipping our glorious God together.
Yours for God’s glory, Christopher Chia